We LOVE spring! Spring is considered the most romantic season of the year, and for good reason. After a long winter of too much Netflix, spring brings with it a sense of renewal and energy, making it the perfect time to get out and enjoy the outdoors. The weather is mild and pleasant, the flowers are blooming, and the days are getting longer, providing more opportunities for romantic activities. From picnics in the park to strolls through the garden, spring is a time of fun and adventure.
One of the reasons spring is so romantic is because it offers so many opportunities for couples to connect and enjoy each other's company. Whether it's taking a leisurely bike ride through the countryside, exploring a new hiking trail, or simply sitting outside enjoying a glass of wine and a good conversation, spring is the perfect time for couples to slow down and appreciate each other's company. Springtime also lends itself to simple romantic gestures, like surprising your partner with a bouquet of flowers or planning a special outdoor dinner under the stars.
Here are 25 different free (or almost free) day dates and date night ideas that will have you enjoying Spring together:
- Picnic in the park - Grab a blanket, pack some snacks and head to your local park for a relaxing afternoon under the sun. Don't forget the sunscreen!
- Botanical garden visit - Take a stroll through a nearby botanical garden and admire the beautiful spring blooms. Bonus points for pretending to know the names of all the flowers.
- Meet for rooftop drinks - If meeting up for drinks is easier to fit in after work than dinner plans, choose a place that has a rooftop option. Order a springtime cocktail, and enjoy good conversation paired with a beautiful view and a nice, warm, spring breeze.
- Bike ride - Rent a bike or dust off your own and explore the local trails or bike paths. Just be sure to wear a helmet, safety first!
- Plant an herb garden - head to your local nursery and pick up your favorite herbs (we like basil, chives, parsley and oregano). While herbs are a staple of any serious kitchen garden, you don’t have to have raised beds—or even a yard—to get started, as most varieties can grow quite happily in a few small pots in a sunny window. You’ll feel so gourmet when you head outside to pick your fresh basil for your caprese.
- Mini golf - Embrace your inner child and challenge your date to a round of mini golf. Loser buys ice cream afterwards.
- Donuts and coffee - get up early, pack a thermos of coffee and head to your local donut maker. Buy warm donuts to savor while you watch the sun rise from a local park.
- Farmers market visit - Browse the local farmers market for fresh produce and artisanal goods. Don't forget to try a sample of the homemade jam!
- Hiking - Lace up your hiking boots and explore the great outdoors. Take in the scenery and fresh air while you get some exercise. See how many spring blooms you can identify.
- Try out Pickleball - There’s a reason pickleball has become one of the most popular sports in the last few years, and it’s because it’s just downright fun. You can play with two people which makes it a perfect date idea. Most communities have free pickle ball courts, and a set of paddles in under $20 on amazon.
- Try out some birdwatching - Bring your binoculars, your phone, and your quiet skills to set up camp and watch your feathered friends come by. Bring some seed or peanuts to attract birds, and use the free “Merlin ID” app to quickly identify your new friends.
- Outdoor movie night - Host an outdoor movie night in your backyard or local park. Bonus points for choosing a romantic comedy. You can even just stream it on your laptop, on a blanket under the stars.
- Kayaking - Rent a kayak and hit the water for a fun and unique date. Just be sure to bring a change of clothes in case you get wet!
- Art gallery visit - Browse the local art gallery and discuss your favorite pieces over a cup of coffee. If you really want to do a deep dive, try your own field sketching - and bring a pad and some color pencils on a hike.
- Cooking class - Take a cooking class together and learn how to make a delicious meal. Make it a BBQ class, and be ready for all your summer backyard parties.
- Wine tasting - Visit a local winery and sample some delicious wines. Maybe even buy a bottle to bring home.
- Outdoor concert - Check out a free outdoor concert in your area and enjoy some live music under the stars. Many towns have free music calendars, or even local breweries with live music. Don't forget to pack a blanket to sit on.
- Beach day - Spend a day at the beach soaking up the sun and swimming in the ocean. If you're not near the beach, a local lake, stream or reservoir will do. Bring a blanket and cooler. Even if it's not swimming weather yet, you'll love the water view for the day.
Bookstore browsing - Spend an afternoon browsing your favorite bookstore and discussing your favorite books. Find a new book you can both enjoy, and start your own book club together.
- Yoga in the park - Attend a free outdoor yoga class in the park and get your zen on. Just be prepared to contort your body into some interesting positions. Mega points if you find something truly unique like goat yoga!
- Geocaching - Try your hand at geocaching and search for hidden treasures in your area. Just don't get too competitive with each other.
- Head to the driving range - You don’t need to be a pro-golfer to have fun at the driving range. Get a bucket of golf balls to share and don’t worry if you have a terrible swing! You and your sweetie can practice together, enjoy a warm spring evening, and maybe even grab dinner or drinks together afterward. If you have a nearby TopGolf, even better!
- Visit a nearby town - Take a day trip to a nearby town and explore the local shops and sights. Be sure to take lots of pictures, just like you're on vacation.
- Brewery tour - Take a tour of a local brewery and sample some delicious craft beers. Just don't overdo it on the hops.
- Stargazing - Head to a quiet spot away from city lights and spend the evening stargazing. Just don't forget the bug spray!
What's your favorite way to spend Spring with your sweetie?