Fall is here, and what better way to celebrate the season than by embarking on an apple-picking adventure at your local "pick your own" orchard? Whether you're new parents or seasoned pros, this date night idea is fun for everyone. We'll walk you through the steps to make it memorable.
1. Plan Your Outing
Start by choosing a convenient date and time for your apple-picking adventure. Remember to check the orchard's opening hours and any special events they might have during the fall season. If you're bringing the kids along, consider their nap times and energy levels.
2. Adorable Photoshoot Opportunity
Apple orchards provide a picturesque backdrop for a spontaneous photoshoot. Capture the vibrant fall colors, your children's smiling faces, and the love between you and your partner. Don't forget to bring your smartphone or camera and designate a photographer (or use a tripod with a timer). We LOVE this adorable photoshoot!
3. Create a Fall Playlist
Enhance the date with a curated fall-themed playlist. You can easily create a fall playlist on Spotify. Include some classic autumn tunes and your favorite songs to make the day even more special. We love this free fall playlist from Popsugar.
4. Find Your Orchard
The easiest way to find them is just to google "apple orchards in [your city]." You could also go to pickyourown.org. There's a map on the site that lists a bunch of farms, and it's organized by state, then by region. Orangepippin.com has a similar database that also flags organic orchards.
5. Apple Varieties by Region
Did you know that different regions offer various apple varieties? Check with your local orchard to see which types are in season. Common apple varieties you might come across include Honeycrisp, Fuji, Gala, and Granny Smith. Each has its own unique flavor and texture.
6. Types of Apples
Explore the orchard and pick a variety of apples to take home. Here's a brief rundown of some popular types:
- Sweet and Juicy: Honeycrisp, Fuji, and Gala apples are perfect for snacking or adding to salads.
- Tart and Versatile: Granny Smith apples work well in pies, crisps, and applesauce.
- All-Purpose: Golden Delicious apples are great for eating fresh or baking in desserts.
- Baking Favorites: Jonagold and Braeburn apples are excellent choices for pies and tarts.
7. Apple Recipes for Two
Once you've gathered your apples, it's time to turn them into delicious treats for your date night at home. Here are a few simple recipes to try:
- Apple Pie: Classic and irresistible, apple pie is a fall favorite. Top it with vanilla ice cream for an extra treat.
- Caramel Apples: Dip your apples in caramel sauce and roll them in crushed nuts or sprinkles for a sweet and crunchy treat.
- Apple Crisp or Apple Cobbler: Make a warm and comforting apple crisp with a crumbly topping. Don't forget a dollop of whipped cream. What’s the difference? Cobblers are denser due to the biscuit dough topping and base, while crisps use oats and a streusel topping, making them lighter. Cobbler toppings are also not a full layer like a crisp or pie. Instead, the biscuit dough dollops often sit on top as individual biscuits. Here is our favorite (easy) apple crisp: which features an easy cinnamon-spiced apple filling and a crunchy oat topping. Serve warm for a fabulous fall dessert. LINK HERE
- Homemade Applesauce: Cook sliced apples with a bit of sugar and cinnamon for a flavorful applesauce. Serve it as a side or a topping.
- Apple and Cheese Pairings: Create a simple charcuterie board with sliced apples, various cheeses, crackers, and a bottle of wine for a cozy evening.
- Or jump on over to Delish - they have nearly 100 easy apple recipes to get you started.
8. Enjoy Your Date Night In
After your apple-picking adventure, head back home for a cozy night in. Enjoy your homemade apple treats, snuggle up, and watch a fall-themed movie or your favorite TV show.
By following these straightforward tips, you can make apple picking at a local orchard a fun and memorable date night for your whole family. Plus, you'll have an abundance of delicious apples to enjoy together and create wonderful fall memories.
Don't forget to share your apple-picking photos on social media using your favorite fall-themed hashtags—and tag us!.
Happy apple picking and happy fall! 🍎🍂