When you’re feeling stressed, and maybe a little distant - here are some quick ways to re-connect. A happy relationship requires a bit of effort. But if you're in a time crunch to show your love, here are 10 quick suggestions for connecting with your partner.
1. Daily touch. Don't let the sun set before you touch your partner. Maybe a kiss, a high-five, holding hands, a hug, or a back scratch, we all need physical contact; it's one of our most basic needs. No matter the type of touch, make it last for 30 seconds. Any kiss over five seconds has wonderful possibilities.
2. Be curious. Don’t ask "How was your day?”, replace it with a thought-provoking, open-ended question. Demonstrating genuine interest in your partner and opening dialogue shows that you care and enhances the joy of sharing our lives. Jump over to our dinner conversations for some fun questions.
3. Side with your partner. It’s you and me against the world… increase trust, partnership, and the likelihood that your sweetie will confide in you in the future by taking his or her side during a vent-fest. Even if you agree with the "enemy" (such as your spouse always being late), save your honest feedback for another time.
4. Express gratitude. Chances are, your partner has contributed in at least one way that made your day a little easier or more enjoyable. Let them know how you appreciated him or her today. A thank you for making the coffee will brighten their day.
5. Sleep naked. It takes more time to put on your flannels than it does to slip into your birthday suit. Removing the outer barrier (pajamas) is a quick secret to staying active under the covers.
6. Have a weekly Micro-Date. A 30 minute date might seem impossible to achieve, but it’s easy and powerful. Click here to sign up for our 52 FREE Micro-Dates.
7. Create new memories. Day in and day out routines can suck the life out of any relationship. It's important to try new adventures and create new rituals of affection. Not all new memories need to be elaborate. Try something fun like creating a new cocktail together, or some simple stargazing.
8. Listen to your partner. You may know your sweetie better than anyone, but asking further questions can really make them feel heard. If they say the commute was long, ask what had changed from yesterday. Conversation is the key to a closer relationship.
9. Share a laugh. When things get tense, remember a good chuckle can really lighten the mood. Think about what makes you and your partner laugh and give it a go. Likewise, don't forget to laugh at his or her jokes: It's polite! We always love a great Dad joke or a Knock Knock to get a quick laugh. Here is one for you: “Why do some couples go to the gym? Because they want their relationship to work out.”
10. Send a flirty text. You know the kind we’re talking about, and maybe you want to sprinkle in some suggestive emojis? Couples that flirt feel like they’ve turned back the clock a bit. So heat up your fingers and add a bit of spice to your messages. Click here to instantly download our 50 Flirty Texts if you need some inspiration.